Commuting from one place to another has become a part of life. While some of us commute to meet our work needs, some travel for the sake of pleasure.
Either way, the most sought after means of traveling has been our own cars. Nobody likes to suffer in public transports, especially in the blazing summer heat. Having a car for ourselves has become quite mandatory these days and has been considered safer as well.
In this era of automotives, if you are looking to get one for yourself, then reading this would help you out. Below is a list of some of the best cars under $ 15000 that you can get your hands on.
- Kia Soul (2010 Model) - $14000 onwards
- Nissan Versa S Plus - $ 14,040
- Mitsubishi Mirage G4 - $13,995
- smartfortwo - $ 14,650
- Hyundai Accent - $ 14,745
- Nissan Versa Note - $ 14,230
- Chevrolet Spark - $ 12,660 Onwards
- Mitsubishi Mirage - $ 12,995 Onwards
- Toyota Yaris - $ 14,895
- Chevrolet Sonic - $ 14,345
- Holden Barina - $ 14,990
- Ford Fiesta - $ 14,580
- Kia Rio - $ 14,165
This compact crossover from Kia is powered by an inline 4 cylinder 1.6 L engine which churns out 130 BHP at an RPM of 6,300 in the base version. The 1591cc engine has a DOHC valve train with 16 valves. It gives you a maximum torque of 118 lb-ft at 4,850 RPM and has a Gasoline Direct Ignition (GDI) system of fuel delivery.
It basically comes with a 6 speed manual transmission. However, you can even opt for an electronically controlled 6 speed Auto transmission with overdrive feature as well which would take the price higher. It has a fuel tank which can hold about 14.2 gallons and has a fuel economy of 26 MPG (City and Highway combined).
The braking system comes with ABS as mandatory and it’s a 4 wheel disc brake as well. The Soul is a Front Wheel Drive vehicle and is featured with an Electric Power Steering to make your driving experience effortless. Kia Motors has been into the production of passenger vehicles since quite some time now and the consumers have not been let down by the company till date.
- Gives you sheer power delivery with the 130 BHP spec.
- 6 speed transmission does not leave you asking for more.
- High storage capacity fuel tank that ensures you do not have to refuel very often.
- 4 wheel disks ensure safer braking.
- Fuel economy may seem low for some.
Nissan has always been the leading manufacturer and provider of good performance cars, and the Nissan Versa (S Plus version) is a great example of this. The Versa S Plus is loaded with a 1.6 L DOHC 16-valve 4 cylinder engine and generates a BHP of 109 at 6,000 RPM. You get a maximum torque of 107 lb-ft at just 4,400 RPM.
The Versa features a Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS) and has a Nissan Direct Ignition System. The drive train is a front wheel drive and the braking system is embedded with ABS, EBD and Brake Assist (BA) as well.
Amidst the safety are the Airbags which are front, roof and side mounted ones and it comes with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDS) and Traction Control System (TCS) as well to keep you safe on the road. This sedan is expected to give out a mileage of 40 MPG on a highway and just about 31 MGP during a drive through the city.
Certainly makes a good package as one of the best new cars under 15000, doesn’t it?
- Comes with cruise control which will give you easier driving experience.
- ABS, EBD and BA make sure you brake well.
- Good combination of power and mileage all together.
- Presence of Traction Control System ranks it up higher in terms of safety.
- Some might prefer a Rear Wheel Drive instead of the existing Front Wheel Drive.
The Mirage G4 is expected to be a good family car with a 1.2 Liter 3-Cylinder DOHC 12-valve engine that gives out around 78 horses at 6000 RPM and has a maximum torque of 74 lb-ft at 4000 RPM. It has a front wheel drive with a 5 speed manual transmission. The front brakes are ventilated disks and rear ones are just drum brakes.
ABS comes equipped as a standard feature. The fuel tank is designed to carry about 9.2 gallons and the Mirage G4 has the combined fuel efficiency (Highway and City drive) of 37 MPG. The sedan is equipped with automatic air condition climate control and has a rear view camera system to help you park with ease.
Apart from these things that matter the most, you will find many perks and advantages of owning a G4 which makes it one of top cars under 15 USD.
- Exceptional fuel economy.
- Features like automatic air condition climate control and rearview camera system make it a feature loaded car.
- A family oriented car at a nominal price range.
- Low capacity fuel tank may make you refuel more than you know.
- Not powerful enough compared to the cars under the category.
This little coupe has a 3 cylinder engine which displaces 898 cc and churns out 89 horses. Going by the name, this cute little coupe is for two. It has a fuel tank which can hold up to 8.7 gallons and runs on forward to give a fuel efficiency of 35 MPG.
It is equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System and comes with all-season tires making sure you stop at nothing. The smart little one comes with cruise control as well to ease your foot off the pedal. The LED daytime running lights and Bluetooth connectivity on the interiors give it a good touch of cute looks and connectivity within, respectively.
So, if you have plans to keep your travel and commute plans restricted to two, then you are looking at the right car for you.
- Good fuel economy.
- A good car for two.
- Out of the box looks.
- Low displacement leading to low power generation.
- Small capacity fuel tank.
- Does not feature alloy wheels.
The 2016 Hyundai Accent comes in three variants. The sedan, Accent hatchback and sports hatchback as well. The sedan has a 1.6 Liter 4 cylinder engine which generates a solid power of 137 HP @ 6300 RPM and it has the maximum amount of torque peaking at 123 lb-ft @ 4850 RPM. It comes with a Front Wheel Drive and features a 6 speed transmission as a standard.
However, if you choose to, you would opt for a 6 speed automatic transmission system as well. The Hyundai Accent comes with a fuel tank capacity of 11.4 gallons and delivers a mileage or a combined fuel economy (City and Highway) of 31 and 30 in the manual and automatic transmissions respectively.
Safety features such as Vehicle Stability Management System, Electronic Stability Control, Traction Control System, etc. come as a standard making it one of the most sought after choice in the considered price range.
- 6 L engine delivering 137 BHP.
- Decent fuel economy offered for the powerful specifications it offers.
- Multiple safety features such as TCS and ESC making sure you are safe.
- A higher capacity storage tank could be preferred.
This junior from the Nissan Versa makes it to the list. It is loaded with a 1.6 Liter 4 cylinder engine that churns out anywhere about 109 HP @ 6000 RPM and has a maximum torque of 107 lb-ft emerging at 4400 RPM. It is equipped with a 5 speed manual transmission system and offers you a Front Wheel Drive.
The front and rear brakes are disk and drum respectively and ABS, EBD and Brake Assist (BA) comes as a standard in these. The Versa Note offers a good fuel economy of 36 MPG on a highway and a nominal 26 MPG in the city. It has Bluetooth connectivity on the interiors and offers you a basic audio system.
If you liked the Versa, you may not be let down much by the Note. However, considering the price difference between the two can help you in picking a sedan or a hatchback.
- ABS, EBS and BA make it a safety featured car.
- The 5 speed manual transmission lets you take in the power as and when you want.
- 109 BHP could be considered very low for the 1.6 L engine it features.
- The fuel economy figures seem a little less satisfying.
- The base version does not feature any extra perks in the audio system.
The Chevy Spark with a phenomenal price range gets on to the seventh place on this list. It is available in two variants; manual and automatic transmission.
Both feature a front wheel drive and have a 1.4 Liter 4 cylinder engine which gives out 98 HP @ 6200 RPM and a maximum torque of 94 lb-ft @ 4400 RPM. It has an electronic fuel injection system along with a fuel tank that can hold up to 9 gallons of fuel and is expected to deliver a phenomenal fuel economy of 41 MPG on highways and 30 MPG during a drive through the city.
The car features over 10 airbags in the front, knee level, etc making it one of the safest cars under the category. Features such as Hill Assist, Rear View Camera, Traction Control and many more such features enhance the safety factor further. All in all, it is one of the best feature loaded hatchback in the price range considered.
- A premium hatchback one can afford.
- Mind blowing fuel economy of 40 MPG on highways.
- Safety features take away the spotlight from the fuel economy.
- Low HP delivery from the 1.4 L engine.
- City mileage drops to 30 MPG.
With an affordable price range, amazing performance, and features to die for comes the Mitsubishi Mirage. The Mirage from Mitsubishi is the younger model that came after the Mirage G4. It is equipped with a 1.2 L DOHC 12-valve 3 cylinder engine with a 5 speed manual transmission. It features 7 airbags which include one at the driver’s knee as well.
The engine generates a power of 78 BHP @ 6000 RPM and a torque of 74 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM. ABS comes as a standard feature in all its variants. Mirage offers an exceptional combined fuel economy of 39 MPG and is mostly preferred for it.
It features an automatic air condition climate control on the interiors along with a 6.5 inch display with audio and smartphone link and has Apple Carplay and Android Auto installed as well.
- Off the charts fuel economy.
- 7 airbags and ABS as safety features.
- Good entertainment interface options.
- Low power for the 1.2 L engine it holds.
- No options of EBD and BA as such to enhance safety.
The Toyota Yaris comes in two variants with options of 3 door and 5 door vehicles. It features a 1.5 Liter DOHC 16 valve VVT-I engine that generates about 106 HP at 6000 RPM and a torque of 103 lb-ft at 4200 RPM. It has a 5 speed manual transmission and an option of 4 speed electronically controlled transmission as an option as well. It has a Front Wheel Drivetrain and is equipped with a sports tuned Electric Power Steering.
It has a phenomenal combined fuel economy (City and highway) of 33 MPG. The Star Safety System of Toyota comes with a combination of Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, ABS, EBD, BA and Smart Stop technology giving it some high standards in terms of safety. The 9 airbags featured in Yaris, add to your safety as well.
- The 3 door Yaris makes you look good and fashionable and not too mainstream like a 5 door car.
- The safety measures provided under the Star Safety System is impeccable.
- The presence of 9 airbags ensures your safety even if you happen to be in a major crash.
- Competitive fuel economy offered.
- The HP generated by the 1.5 L engine is way too less for a few who like gobbling power.
You can never go wrong with the exceptional Chevrolet Sonic. The Sonic by Chevrolet comes in a Sedan and a Hatchback variant as well. The sedan is priced at a base price of $ 14,345 and the Hatchback is priced at $ 14,945. They are equipped with a 1.8 L 4 cylinder engine and feature a Front Wheel Drive along with a 5 speed manual transmission.
It features a touring genre of plush suspension and has ABS, Stability Control System, and Hill Start Assist as its safety measures. Both have a fuel tank capacity of 12.2 gallons and deliver a decent fuel economy in the figures of 26 MPG and 35 MPG for city and highway drives.
The Chevrolet Sonic also comes with 10 airbags at various positions to keep you safe in collision scenarios. The daytime running lamps (DRL’s) give it an enhanced look and will find you grabbing quite some attention.
- The 1.8 L engine makes it the most high displacement engine in the price range.
- The fuel economy offered despite the 1.8 L engine is quite appreciable.
- A lot of safety features present to keep you safe. This includes 10 airbags that are sure to be handy during accidents.
The Barina comes in hatch and sedan variants just like the Mirage and Sonic, and other cars. Both the versions feature a 1.6 L 4 cylinder engine with a displacement of 1598 cc. It delivers a power of 85 KW at 6000 RPM and a 155 Nm of torque at 4000 RPM.
Both the base versions come with a 5 speed manual transmission. It has a 12 gallon storage fuel tank and offers a mileage of 14.5 KM per liter of fuel. It features 6 airbags and Electronic Stability Control, Rear view camera, Traction Control systems in the safety department. The looks of the Barina are sure to keep you staring at it for a while until you get to a stage where you can’t take your eyes of it anymore.
- It gives out a bold and confident look.
- The fuel economy is moderate enough.
- Multiple safety features make you safer on road.
The Fiesta comes in both variants of Sedan and Hatch much like the Chevrolet Sonic seen above. It features a 1.6 L 16 valve 4 cylinder engine. It comes with a 5 speed manual transmission and gives you an option of choosing the 6 speed automatic transmission as well.
It has a fuel capacity of 12.4 gallons and delivers a fuel economy of 28 MPG for city and 36 MPG on a highway. It churns out a good 120 HP @ 6350 RPM and has a maximum torque of 112 lb-ft which is achieved at 5000 RPM. The SE and ST version of the Fiesta give you an EcoBoost engine as well and the ST specifically reached out to you with a turbocharged engine.
However, the base price will get you only the basic version with a simple 1.6 L engine and it will not let you down. If you are in a position to spend more than the mentioned, then you might want to consider the Turbocharged version of it (Available only in Hatchback).
- A good 1.6 L engine by Ford with a decent power out unlike other cars in the price range.
- The fuel tank capacity with a decent fuel economy ensures that you do not have to refuel every now and then.
- The variants cross the price tag of $ 15000 and it would have been more preferred if it was priced a little lower.
This is a car to not miss out on. The Kia Rio is a sedan released by Kia Motors, and features a 1.6 L inline 4 cylinder engine with a displacement of 1591 cc. It has a DOHC 16 valve type valve train. It churns out a phenomenal 138 HP @ 6300 RPM and lets you feel the maximum torque of 123 lb-ft @ 4850 RPM.
It has a Gasoline Direct Injection system of fuel delivery. It gives you the option to choose from a 6 speed manual transmission and an Electrically Controlled 6 speed automatic transmission. The 11.4 gallon fuel tank with a combined fuel economy (City and Highway) of 31 MPG will make sure you make few pit stops.
The Rio is a Front Wheel Drive vehicle and has a 4 wheel disc brake equipped with ABS. It is also loaded with multiple airbags and features such as the EBD, Hill Start Assist, Vehicle Stability Management, etc. making it a safe driving experience for you.
- Phenomenal power output featuring a 1.6 L engine.
- Great fuel economy for the amount of HP featured.
- Airbags and other safety technology ensure your safety.
These were some of the best cars under 15,000 USD.
On a parting note, here’s a tip for all new buyers out there: Always research well before you buy, and make sure to buy the car that fits your needs.
Lastly, we all know that when it comes to purchasing a car, many of us prefer to choose a used car rather than a new one. Of course the number of people opting for a new car are comparatively more.
Nevertheless, the sales of used cars is on the rise as well. If you are looking to pick up a car for yourself in the price range of $ 15000, would you rather choose a new one or a used one? And if so, how much of attentions needs to be paid to the specifications and condition of the car?
If you were to be looking for faults and problems in a car, what would you be looking at first and what all should you be looking at? Let us know some of your thoughts in the comment section below.